Meet Diana owner of DumeeGamer.com
Hello fellow Girl Gamers,
My name is Diana Adams-Dumee and I’m the owner and founder of game website DumeeGamer.com and also of the brand new company Sparkly Unicorn.
I’m a thirty-something lady and to be honest almost a fourty-something lady. My first game console was the CBS ColecoVision (back in the eighties) After that the NES entered my family home. It was during those years I lost my heart to video games. Legend of Zelda was my all time favorite and I still play it nowadays. I have to admit after the PS1 (Resident Evil!!) I didn’t play that much video games anymore. For about ten years I was more interested in spending time with my friends and going out. And I still do :). But seven years ago when the Wii and PS3 hit the market, I was wondering what the developers had to offer nowadays. I started with the God of War and Uncharted series and never laid down the controller anymore.
Dumeegamer; the positive gaming website
Three years ago I thought it was time for a game website, which would write about games in the best positive way possible. It irritated me how other websites could nag about one little detail for five paragraphs. I’m a positive person so I decided to do reviews about games, tell honestly when something was wrong about it, but mainly write about what’s good about it. That was the day DumeeGamer.com was born.
How things run at Dumeegamer
Does it takes a lot of your time to run a game website? Yes! Is it fun to run your own game website? Definitely! I love to have contact with developers and publishers and I’m so happy when I’m present during events like Gamescom and Firstlook. Triple A games or indies, I think they’re all cool. The indie’s definitely stepped up their game, don’t you think? Check out Stick it to the Man, Gun’s Gore and Cannoli or Herald and you’ll know what I mean.
Together with my awesome crew we publish a new review or article every work day of the week. Video games, boardgames, strategy guides, event reports, interviews, everything that is somehow related with gaming is interesting to us. In the last three years we met so much cool people during events, or because we interviewed them. I’m very proud we had an interview with lead female singer Marcela Bovio from the band Stream of Passion.
Besides DumeeGamer.com I started a brand new company this year; Sparkly Unicorn , together with my sister in law (Diana Dumee- Wolters) We want people to enjoy, relax and excel by games/game elements. On March 31 we organized a workshop about singing, April 22 we had a Retro Game Event and we also develop a communication training for call center agents. So yeah, I’m very busy, but it’s all worth it when I see happy faces of people who join our a Sparkly Unicorn events, training or workshops. Or when I get nice feedback about our articles at DumeeGamer.com.
Starting a game website or business
If you thinking about starting a game website or business of your own:
- Do it, better regret something you did, then always wonder: What if…
- Be serious about it. People only believe you if you are sincere about it.
- Consult your family or partner about your ideas. You can’t run a business without the support of the people around you.
- Tell people why you do what you do. Another game website or company is not very inspiring. But if you tell why you do it, people who have the same ideas, passion or interests will follow you.
- Trust your instinct. People told me it could be a bad idea to use my last name as my website name, but it actually makes people remember it (especially because some people pronounce it as dummy gamer). A business consultant told me Sparkly Unicorn was not serious enough. But it makes people interested in what we’re doing (and who is crazy enough to called themselves Sparkly Unicorn). And if people think it’s stupid I don’t think they would be the kind of people I would work with 🙂
So, to all you Girl Gamers out there; Do what you want, have fun playing video games and be as awesome as you can be!
Check out Diana
Do you want to know more about Diana Adams-Dumee, then check out her website www.dumeegamer.com and www.sparklyunicorn.nl (Dutch website).