The gaming industry has traditionally been male-dominated. This has been the reason for Girl Gamer Galaxy in the past to start their platform. We connect female gamers in a male-dominated industry. This male domination has influenced the types of games and characters that are created. However, evidence suggests that more women are playing games with female protagonists than ever before. According to a 2019 report by the Entertainment Software Association, women make up 46% of the gaming population in the United States. This suggests that there is a significant and growing market for games with female protagonists. In this article, we will explore why and give you some titles of popular games with female protagonists for you to explore.
What does the research say?
A survey by Google and the International Game Developers Association found that players of all genders enjoy playing games with female protagonists. The survey found that 85% of male players and 83% of female players enjoy playing as female characters. Research on this topic suggests that men are generally more likely to choose male characters when given the choice. This may depend on the context of the game and the motivations for playing it. For example, in games where players can customize their character’s appearance and abilities, many players of all genders may choose to create characters that reflect their own identities and preferences.
The choice of character gender is ultimately a personal preference, and there is no right or wrong way to approach it. Players should feel free to choose the character that they feel most comfortable with and enjoy the game in a way that suits their own tastes and preferences. For our ‘ Just girl gamer things ‘ blog article we also asked the question if the girls from our community preferred to play as a female character. You can check their answers here.
Overall, while men may still make up the majority of players in the gaming industry, there is a growing interest in games with female protagonists from players of all genders. This suggests that there is a growing demand for more diverse representation in games and that games with female protagonists can be enjoyed by a wide range of players.
Why have games with female protagonists become more popular?
Games with female protagonists have become increasingly popular in recent years for a variety of reasons.
Firstly, female representation in video games has been historically low, with many games featuring male protagonists. The female characters often being relegated to supporting roles or overly sexualized stereotypes. As a result, many players are hungry for more diverse representation in games, including female protagonists.
Secondly, female protagonists often offer a fresh perspective on game narratives and can bring a new dimension to storytelling. Many games with female protagonists explore themes of gender identity, sexism, and social justice, which can make for more exciting and engaging storylines.
Thirdly, games with female protagonists can also appeal to a wider range of players, including women and girls who may feel more represented and included in the gaming community. This can help to broaden the appeal of gaming as a medium and bring in new players.
Finally, games with female protagonists can be more fun to play. Female characters can offer unique gameplay mechanics, such as agility, stealth, and ranged attacks, that can make for exciting and varied gameplay experiences.
Ten popular games with female protagonists
We’ve created a list of some popular games that feature a female protagonist:
- Tomb Raider: Lara Croft is one of the most famous female game characters of all time. She appeared in numerous games since the first Tomb Raider was released in 1996.
- Horizon Zero Dawn: Aloy is the protagonist of this action-adventure game set in a post-apocalyptic world.
- Control: Jesse Faden is the protagonist of this action-adventure game with a paranormal twist.
- Life is Strange: Max Caulfield is the protagonist of this episodic graphic adventure game.
- Mirror’s Edge: Faith Connors is the protagonist of this first-person parkour game.
- Beyond Good and Evil: Jade is the protagonist of this action-adventure game with stealth elements.
- Assassin’s Creed Syndicate: Evie Frye is one of the two playable protagonists in this historical action-adventure game.
- The Last of Us: Part II: Ellie is the main protagonist of this post-apocalyptic survival game.
- Bayonetta: Bayonetta is the protagonist of this hack-and-slash game with supernatural elements.
- Metroid: Samus Aran is the protagonist of the Metroid series, an iconic game franchise that first appeared in 1986.
What about you? Do you purposely play more games with female protagonists? Or, given the choice, do you choose a female character in the game? Let us know in the comments or on our Instagram!