It’s time to do another Character in the Spotlight! Did you miss the first one? No worries click here for the previous edition. This spotlight is going to be a bit different though. Why? Because it’s Halloween and we are going to make it more scary. So we are going to put a very creepy ‘game character’ in the spotlight. Why the quotation marks? Because the subject of this spotlight didn’t originate in games. Where did it originate then? Keep on reading if you want to know more.
This Halloween we’re diving into the spine-tingling world of Slenderman. Slenderman, also spelled as Slender Man, didn’t originate from an ancient myth or a classic horror story but was born on the internet in 2009. That’s not that old when you think about it, right? Slenderman is often depicted as a tall, thin, faceless figure dressed in a black suit, with long, tentacle-like arms. The character became particularly famous through a series of online stories, images, and videos collectively referred to as “Creepypasta”. He made his first appearance on the online forum Something Awful in a Photoshop contest. Users were challenged to create spooky, paranormal images. And so Slenderman emerged.
Because various contributors on the internet created Slenderman, the Slenderman lore is a complex and evolving body of fictional stories. While there is no single, definitive canon for Slenderman, several common themes and elements have emerged over the years. Here are some key aspects of Slenderman lore:
Slenderman is often described as an unnaturally tall and thin figure, standing anywhere from 6 to 15 feet tall. He typically wears a black suit with a white shirt and tie. His most distinctive feature is the lack of a visible face, which is usually obscured by a blank, featureless, and pale mask-like visage. Slenderman is frequently depicted with long, slender, tentacle-like arms that he can extend or retract at will. These appendages are often used to ensnare or incapacitate his victims.
Teleportation and Mind Control
Slenderman is said to have the ability to teleport or appear and disappear at will, making it extremely difficult to escape his presence. He is also sometimes associated with mind control or the ability to influence the thoughts and actions of those who encounter him.
One of the most common themes in Slenderman lore is his tendency to target and abduct children and young adults. Victims often go missing without a trace, leaving behind only cryptic symbols and drawings.
Slenderman is often associated with various symbols and motifs, including the operator symbol (∞), the Slenderman symbol (a circle with an “X” through it), and various cryptic drawings. These symbols are used in the mythos to mark his presence or communicate his intentions.
Proxies and Followers
In some versions of the lore, Slenderman is said to have a group of followers or “proxies” who do his bidding. These proxies are often individuals who have been psychologically or physically altered by their encounters with Slenderman. Exposure to Slenderman is said to induce intense fear and paranoia in those who encounter him, often leading to mental instability or madness.
The origin of Slenderman varies in different interpretations. Some versions of the mythos suggest that he is a supernatural entity that has existed for centuries. In contrast, others propose that he is the result of a scientific experiment gone wrong or an evil force born from the collective fear and imagination of humanity.
The Slenderman game(s)
One of the most well-known Slenderman games is “Slender: The Eight Pages.” This game was developed by Mark J. Hadley and released in 2012. In “Slender: The Eight Pages,” players find themselves in a dark forest armed only with a flashlight and a limited ability to sprint. Their goal is to collect eight pages with creepy messages written on them while being stalked by Slenderman. The tension builds as players must balance their desire to find all eight pages with their need to avoid the approaching Slenderman, who becomes increasingly aggressive as the game progresses.
Since the release of “Slender: The Eight Pages,” several other Slenderman-themed games have been created, each offering its own unique take on the Slenderman mythos and gameplay mechanics.
The Slenderman (inspired) games summarized
- Slender: The Eight Pages (2012) – This is one of the most well-known Slender Man games. Players must collect eight pages while being pursued by Slender Man in a dark, forested environment.
- Slender: The Arrival (2013) – A more polished and expanded version of the original game, The Arrival delves deeper into the Slender Man mythos and offers a more immersive experience.
- Slenderman’s Shadow series (2012-2013) – This is a series of fan-made games that build upon the original concept. Each installment offers a new environment and new challenges.
- Slender: The Elementary (2012) – A mod for the original Slender game that takes place in an abandoned elementary school.
- Slender: Haunt (2012) – A Slender Man game that incorporates a haunted house theme, providing a unique setting for players.
- Slender: The Claustrophobia (2013) – A Slender game set in underground tunnels, adding a different level of tension to the experience.
- Slender: The Gaze of Horror (2017) – This game adds some unique mechanics, such as the use of a camera to view the environment and detect hidden threats.
- Slender’s Woods (2013) – Set in a forest, this game offers a different take on the Slender Man mythos and includes additional lore.
- Slender: The Cursed Forest (2016) – This game takes place in a cursed forest and incorporates various supernatural elements into the story.
- Slender: Anxiety (2012) – An indie horror game that expands upon the Slender Man legend with a variety of environments and a focus on psychological horror.
Slenderman in real life
The Slenderman mythos expanded because fans and creators contributed to the lore. Slenderman quickly became a pop culture phenomenon, inspiring a slew of YouTube series, the formerly mentioned video games, and even a 2018 Hollywood movie titled “Slender Man.” His influence has extended into literature, art, and podcasts, making him a staple in modern horror.
While Slenderman is purely a work of fiction, his influence has taken a dark turn in some cases. In 2014, two young girls in Wisconsin attempted to murder a classmate, claiming they did it to appease Slenderman. This shocking event highlights the importance of understanding the boundary between fiction and reality and the potential consequences of blurring those lines.
So, while Slenderman may send shivers down your spine and ignite your imagination, always keep in mind that he is a fictional character born from the depths of the internet. Enjoy the thrill of the myth but never let it blur the lines between reality and fiction. In the vast world of creepy legends, Slenderman is but one shadowy figure among many. Time to turn off this spotlight
Or just type a message below if you dare…