The Guildwars 2 story takes place in the Asian-inspired Cantha, so I was craving some Chinese food again! With noodles and stir fry being referenced everywhere in the game, I wanted to make Eggplant stir fry again. Just like I did at a cooking class when I was in China. Eggplant stir fry is a Chinese famous dish, usually made with a local Sechuan variant of eggplant, called Yuxiang. While in the game you can buy the eggplants in bulk at Mount Maelstrom, in real life, any eggplants will do. So let’s cook using de Guildwars recipe for eggplant stir fry!
Ingredients according to the Guildwars recipe for stir fry:
22 OZ of Eggplant
2 oz Shiitake mushrooms (or just simple mushrooms)
4 Red pepper
5 gloves of garlic
0.5 oz of ginger
5 dried red chillies
3 pieces of green onion
For the sauce:
3 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of vinegar
3 tbsp of (brown) sugar
0.5 tbsp of bean sauce
2 tbsp of cornstarch or other tickening agent
1 tbsp of sesame oil
How to make the Eggplant Stir fry!
- Cut the eggplants into long strips, and cut them to about 2 inches long.
- Chop the mushrooms and three of the red peppers in small chunks.
- Cut the garlic, the ginger, the green onion, the dried chillies and one red pepper in small pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together until it blends nicely. Add a little water if you need to.
- Put the eggplants in a steaming basket and steam for about 15 min. If you don’t have that, you can stirfry them as well. If you do, make sure you drain any excess water that comes out of the eggplants – they tend to be quite wet.
- Heat some oil in a pan or wok. Make it nice and hot.
- Add the chillies, peppers, ginger and garlic. Stir for about 45 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper chunks. Stir for about 60 seconds. Keep stirring!
- Add the sauce – cook until sauce is boiling.
- Add the eggplant and mix it in
- Add the sesame oil at the end and stir.
Plate up the eggplant stir fry with some green onions and serve it with some rice.